Sunday, September 20, 2009

Clip, Clip

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -Edmund Burke

I subscribe to a few different magazines and like to read them when I find a spare minute. A couple of them are about women's fitness/health, and the other one is my absolute favorite, Oprah Magazine. Don't laugh! It's awesome! I love it because it is filled with great articles, motivating stories, and lots of practical and fun information that usually seems to relate to my own life. I don't ever watch Oprah's TV show because of my schedule, but I'm telling you...her magazine ROCKS!

Whenever I read a magazine, I usually find some good tips or ideas. Sometimes I jot down a book title or website I read about, and sometimes I will rip out a picture or ad for something that piques my interest. Then, knowing me, I usually lose the note or toss out the piece of ripped paper. Oops!

I recently came up with a brilliant idea. OK, I think it's kind of brilliant. I am going to start keeping a little binder of inspiring things I find in my magazines. Good quotes, exercise tips, delicious recipes, fun articles, etc...I'm going to cut them out and keep them in a little notebook. Then, I can look back on them later if I ever need some motivation, new ideas, or just something good to read. I figure it's also a good way to get the most out of my subscriptions.

OK, so maybe this isn't the most exciting idea of the century, but I thought it was a neat little way to keep some inspiring words of wisdom nearby. I also thought I might share some of the better clips with you on the blog. Sound good? Yay!

QUESTIONS FOR YOU: Do you have a regular resource (magazine, website, TV show, etc) that provides you with good ideas, inspiration, etc? What is it? Do you keep anything like a journal, notebook, or scrapbook? Tell us about it!

4 comments:

  1. Jules! I keep a 'box o'stuff'. It's a cardboard box, a little bigger than a shoebox, and I've decorated it (think grade 3) with pictures from magazines that reflect the life I envision, along with quotes that serve as my go-to pep talk. In it I stash the same as you- in fact, I just looked through it last night when I was in need of a story prompt (because snippets of weird/interesting things/poems/lyrics, etc. are perfect for the writer's block). 'The Week' is a good magazine for tidbits and info about the world. I also find a lot food-wise from 'Real Simple' (I personally am attempting to try three new meals a week. It's wildly ambitious.) I'll leave it at that, but I think it is TOTALLY the idea of the century. And I, too, love Ope! Cried all over the floor when she interviewed Whitney. And you KNOW THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THAT YOU COMMENTED!!! Thanks, sista! And I love the box idea...I might have to cover my new fun binder like that! :) YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been into magazine collage ever since a stay in the hospital a few years back. For me, it was the easiest way to express myself as an artist without making myself too vulnerable. Since then, though I have found other creative outlets, but have recently come back to using magazine clippings for journaling and collaging. I am in the process of trying to create an artistic journal that I can use to inspire women with eating disorders. if you google magazine collages, you can find some amazing pieces of work. Another fun inspiration came through Project Runway in the newspaper challenge where contestants had to make a garment out of newspaper. I have challenged myself to make a piece of art out of newspaper. It is a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see your creation when it's finished, Brooke! Thank you for commenting!!! Like all of the other awesome ladies who have contributed here so far, you have so much wisdom to share :)

    ReplyDelete