Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's a Stretch

"Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes." -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Hi everyone,

First, a little housekeeping: I know some of you have told me you are having trouble posting comments. I don't know what to tell you except THANKS FOR TRYING and KEEP TRYING! :) If anyone has any magic tips, please share. I am loving the comments that are coming in so far and would love even more!

OK, now I need your help. This is kind of a random question but I need some help. I have had problems with muscle pulls my whole life...whether I have been in the best shape of my life (working out every day, stretching beforehand, working with trainers, etc), and when I am not in such good shape (ahem, that would be lately!). I usually pull my hamstrings and/or groin area. Ha, ha. I said groin.

Sorry. Back to my problem. So I have had several different coaches and trainers and doctors and teammates over the years showing me different ways to stretch and stay loose, as well as how to treat sore muscles. Some things have worked more than others, and some things have been stranger than others (some of you might have read my other blog post about the horse liniment!). Unfortunately, no matter what I try, I have still had some serious muscle pulls/tears that have set me back a while.

My most recent one happened a couple of weeks ago in a softball tournament. I was running the bases and suddenly I felt a huge snap in my right hamstring. It was one of the worst ones I have ever experienced. I ended up on the ground rolling around like a big baby...but it really hurt!

I have been seeing the doctor a couple of times a week to get treated, so I am making some good progress toward healing. I am crossing my fingers I will be ready to play in my tournament in Florida next week. So, here is my question...maybe it's just a bunch of weird questions. I will throw them all out there and feel free to answer any that make sense to you:

-How do you stretch out before exercise/activity/sports?
-Do you have any good stretches for your lower body?
-Do you do more dynamic or more static stretching?
-Do you know any good magical tricks for treating a sore hammy?

I would love any feedback you have! Thanks, blog pals! :)

1 comment:

  1. Well, as I sit here with a big boot on to stretch my Achilles tendon and, hopefully, improve my plantar fascitis, I feel a bit silly offering thoughts on injuries. (I have flat feet, however, so I know why I get it!)

    I've read more on the topic than many but am certainly no expert. It sounds to me in terms of preparation that you're doing everything right - stretching etc. I guess my question to you might be, do you have any muscle imbalances or bad habits in posture when you run that you may not even realize you're compensating for? From what I've been reading, muscle imbalance and performing movements incorrectly is a big culprit when it comes to injury. It could even be very subtle - something you do due to an old high school injury that throws your balance off juuust slightly. When you recover, you may want to have someone watch you run, or video tape you running from a few different angles (straight on and square from behind, definitely) so you can see what you may or may not be doing. Just a thought. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete